Feelin' Groovy (or at least in the groove again)

I've been hanging out at WriteOnCon today, which has been a lot of fun...not just for the opportunity to post my own work, but to critique others. But more importantly, it's given me a sense of my writing self again.

From the beginning of May until the beginning of July, I completely lost my ability to write. And not just write, but read. Anything printed, be it a book, a gardening magazine, a blog, a Word doc., sent me reeling for the bathroom. Why? Because of all-day-all-night morning sickness.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit older, or maybe it's because this the fourth time my body has hosted a tiny person all the way through the first trimester, but this time was even harder than the others. The most I could accomplish writing-wise during those months were snippets to myself about an impending revision.

But now I'm on the other side of yuck (YAY!), and for the past 3 weeks, I've been retraining myself. Discipline, discipline, discipline. As in getting up by at least 5 AM six days a week to write. Feeling like I'm wasting my time, but telling myself to do it anyway. Because it's only when I actually write, as in create, instead of just writing about writing, that I remember that I can do it. But man, it is HARD to get back into shape.

This week at least, WriteOnCon is helping me, in a public way, to feel committed to my writing life again. (Thank you to the wonderful organizers, industry professionals, and fellow attendees for the great opportunity!!!) And it's free! Hop on over and check out all the great posts and forums.  Especially this one by editor Molly O'Neill--a fantastic mix of inspiration and plain old fashioned truth. I hope to see you there.

So how about you? Have you ever been waylaid from your writing by something outside your control? What did you do to get back on track? What was your inspiration? Where are you now?

(Oh, yeah, since I know some of you will ask...baby #4 is due Dec. 30! Whoo hoo!)

2 comments:

  1. It is so hard to get on track, and it's so hard to stay there, too. I admire you for getting up early to get your writing time in. It's so important. Yes, we all need days off to replenish. But we don't need days off if we never sit down and do the work. I have to remind myself all the time. What works for me is a frightening deadline. But even then, I still have to bargain with myself. On the tough days, I tell myself, "Three pages, and you are free the rest of the day." Or, "One hour, and then you can be guilt-free the rest of the day." And I do it. Without distractions or checking e-mail or anything else. And usually I keep going a little past that one hour, or past those three pages, once I get started. But even if I don't, if I accomplish what I set out to do that day, I allow myself to feel good about it and to not dwell and all I "should have" or "could have" done. Writing needs to be a positive process, not something that never quite satisifies us or lives up to our expecations. I remind myself that if I am constantly nagging at myself for not doing more, than I'm not going to look forward to getting to work. So...a balance of discipline and kindness works for me.

    And congratulations on getting past morning sickness, too! That's so wonderful. Sounds like it's been a really tough summer. I am glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly!

      You've given some great advice here: setting small goals. Because accomplishing small goals will eventually stack up, and with enough of them, build the bigger end goal.

      So with that wise advice in mind, I'm going to go back to the two-pages-a-session goal I use when I'm revising. I've had the little piece of paper announcing that idea taped to my book shelf above my laptop for years. I think it's time to start following through on that one again.

      Thanks for stopping by, friend!

      Delete